Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My girlfriend destroyed my passport when I was in Cabo

Customer Question

My girlfriend destroyed my passport when I was in Cabo Mexico after I told her that I wanted her to leave tomorrow and I was going to remove her from the guest list. I even offered to get her a flight home.
JA: Real Estate issues can be tricky and expensive. The Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: Is this a crime?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I barely got back home on time. She ripped out all the pages, but through a hard search of the condo, I found all the pages and was able to get home safely. However, not without long delays at the airport.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not yet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
While my girlfriend and I were in Cabo Mexico, she ripped all the pages out of my passport. Can I legally pursue a criminal suit/charged a crime in California against her for destroying my US passport in Mexico?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Keep Lawyers on call - FREE! See how
My girlfriend destroyed my passport when...
My girlfriend destroyed my passport when I was in Cabo Mexico after I told her that I wanted her to leave tomorrow and I was going to remove her from the guest list. I even offered to get her a flight home.I barely got back home on time. She ripped out all the pages, but through a hard search of the condo, I found all the pages and was able to get home safely. However, not without long delays at the airport.

Can I legally pursue a criminal suit/charged a crime in California against her for destroying my US passport in Mexico?

No, you can't. Even though it was a US passport, you can only pursue criminal charges where it happened. That is the only court with jurisdiction.

You could sue her civilly in the US since that is where she lives but the judge may make you apply Mexican tort law. I would think that the lawyer could convince the judge that US law should be used for that since the trip started an ended in the US, it was only the damages that were accumulated in Mexico.