Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I sent a check for $1,000 towards my grandson's baseball

Customer Question

I sent a check for $1,000 towards my grandson's baseball league fees in early Jan 2016. On Feb 11th my grandson decided he did want to play for that team (well before the start of the season). I notified the manager/owner of the team by email that my grandson would not be playing for the team and requested a refund. The manager/owner notified me twice by email that the "check is in the mail". It is now Jun 30th and I have not received a refund. I notified him 2 weeks ago by email that if I did not receive a refund by Jun 30th I would file a claim in small claims court. It should also be noted that there was no agreement or contract signed by my grandson's mother. What is my best approach at this point?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have tried to get them to send the refund and they have failed to respond with the refund, then you are at your final option that you threatened, you would have to go to the small claims court and get a petition and summons from the clerk and fill it out and serve the league with a copy of the suit and summons and file the petition with the clerk.

I mean if he is not responding and sending the check, there is not much more you can do to make him send it. So, suing them is now your final option and you need to go down to the court and file. There was no contract saying it was non-refundable, so you are entitled to seek a refund if he is not playing.