Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

If I am sexting with a person who later reveals themself to

Customer Question

If I am sexting with a person who later reveals themself to be a minor, am I committing an illegal act?
Submitted: 3 months ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Can you please provide me with more details about this situation?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I encountered a girl on a dating site with a listed age of 19. I gave her my phone number and we texted for 3 days. On the third day we exchanged nude photos of ourselves. After this she revealed that she is in fact 15. I expressed my disgust and told her not to contact me again. The next day (today), her fat her called my phone and told me they are contacting an investigator to find me and plan to press charges. He tried to get me to pay him off. Am I in any way liable here?

Thank you for your follow up.

I cannot comment on your specific case, however, it is a federal sex offense to have any sexually explicit images of any person to be sent or stored over the cellphone or internet and both the sender (who might be 15) and the adult could be charged with federal felony sex crime, such as distribution of child pornography, regardless whether the person who engaged in this sex image exchange with a minor child knew this child's true age.

So generally, the only option would be to contact and retain an experienced local criminal defense attorney and to have this attorney handle any and all communications about this matter and to help you resolve this very serious situation that can lead to serious federal sex charges which can result in high fines, federal prison and lifetime requirement to register as a sex offender upon conviction.

You can find an experienced and skilled local criminal law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information /referral websites:

When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to criminal law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.

I wish you the best of luck!