Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Getting divorced I have step children if I will all to them

Customer Question

Getting divorced I have step children if I will all to them can my true siblings contest an d wi
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. The answer is yes, you can will your entire estate to them, and no, your siblings cannot contest.

It is the surviving spouse that can often take a share of the estate even if they are left out of the Will, per something called an "elective share." Siblings do not have this right. This means that you can leave out your brothers/sisters from the Will, and leave your estate to whomever you want to. They would not be able to contest.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.