Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I represent several lines of furniture which I sell to the

Customer Question

Good Afternoon
I represent several lines of furniture which I sell to the architect and design community.
Recently, one company from France decided to hire a new firm to represent the in the USA, published their contact telephone number on their website, and never told me about their decision until about a month ago. My contract with them ended last month. I continue to sell their products, and have established several showrooms which are also selling their products due to the efforts I have made over the past 3 years of laying the platform for them to do business in the US. They have recently asked for their furniture sample to be returned after a month of my contract being void. Do I owe them anything seeing they techically breached the contract?
Thank you
Roy
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. You state that they breached the contract. How so? Does the contract call for a period of you being their exclusive agent until a certain date (if so, which date)? Or, does it state that you shall be their exclusive agent until/unless they give you notice (if so, how much notice)? Etc.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The contract reads they may terminate the contract if both parties feel the arrangement is not working.
What they did was hire someone in Florida back in February without disclosing this information to me. I have been doing contracts - orders in Florida and when their catalog was to go to print, they removed my contact info as their US distributor and replaced it without telling me - last Feb. now after I have no contract, they are requesting their samples back.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your reply. The contract literally states just this. It does not mandate any type of notice, then?