Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

Say a CMA, employed by a term care facility, is asked to run

Customer Question

Say a CMA, employed by a long term care facility, is asked to run an errand to a medical supply facility. On his way, the CMA detours to his sports club for a visit with his trainer. Leaving the sports club, the CMA hits a pedestrian with his car and seriously injures her, putting her in the hospital. Under the law of agency, or under Respondeat Superior, is the CMA's employer liable if the injured party sues?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Usually not. A side trip to handle personal business would usually mean that the employer-employee relationship and respondeat superior isn't in effect. However, that isn't guaranteed since a court could rule that the "side trip" is "de minimis". Since the person was hit leaving the club I don't think that's likely but it will certainly be argued and it is certainly possible that the judge could rule that the employer shouldn't be responsible.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.