Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

I've recently filed Pro Se a legal suit against my former

Customer Question

I've recently filed Pro Se a legal suit against my former business partners alleging Embezzlement. My question is; under statutes, how much time is allowed between the actual filing of the suit before I must serve notice of filing to each of the defendants? Is there a specified maximum length of time between filing the suit and within which time frame I am required to serve papers to the defendants? What is the allowable time limit, if any; in which I must serve the defendants with their papers???
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 3 months ago.

You have 90 days to serve the defendants after the summons and complaint are filed. This is found in Wisconsin Statutes Section 801.02. That statutes states as follows:

801.02 Commencement of action.

(1) A civil action in which a personal judgment is sought is commenced as to any defendant when a summons and a complaint naming the person as defendant are filed with the court, provided service of an authenticated copy of the summons and of the complaint is made upon the defendant under this chapter within 90 days after filing.

I hope this answers your question.