legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

In CA. if a person dies at home, is the coroner called? This

Customer Question

In CA. if a person dies at home, is the coroner called?
JA: Real Estate issues can be tricky and expensive. The Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: This question is not about real estate. It's about a death.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes. We believe mother died under suspecious cirm. She was visiting daughter and passed. The coroner was not called although we were told he was, cause of death is wrong, and the dated is two days after what we were told. We need clarification.
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: None, we are in NV which is where her home was, and she died in CA.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: She was ill but being cared for by grandson and wife, the daughter came and took her to CA. against doctors orders. My husband talked to her everyday around noon and last time he spoke to her she sounded fine, that was Sat. When he called on Sun. his sister said " she's dead". When asked what happened, she said she died at six am and she had been too busy with the coroner etc. to call him. That was on Sunday Jan. 9, 2009 and the certificate of death states she died on Jan. 11, 2009 and no coroner was called. It also states under Physician's Certification that she died on Jan. 10, 2009.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  legalgems replied 3 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear this;

There is no requirement that the Coroner be in attendance at a death. If a person dies at home, the first telephone call is usually to a doctor. If the person has been treated recently by that doctor, and the doctor is positively able to identify the cause of death, he or she will normally be able to issue a Medical certificate of Death. The next call would typically be to your funeral director. Your funeral director will take immediate steps to transfer the deceased person to the mortuary and will arrange the registration of death. The funeral director will then take care of all the subsequent funeral arrangements.

Coroners are typically only contacted if

1. the police are involved

2. an individual contact the coroner and advises them of the death

3. a medical provider/hospital contacts the coroner.

When the Coroner's department is advised of a death, the department will contact the police, who will in turn arrange for the transport of the deceased to the main mortuary. A report is then prepared by the Police for the Coroner. Then the Coroner seeks to establish the cause of death either by contacting the deceased's doctor or by requesting an autopsy. Another function of the Coroner's court is to establish the identity of the deceased person through formal identification (ie doctor or relative).

Normally a person with a known illness will not require a coroner, or an autopsy.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

checking in on the above; thanks for using Just Answer!