Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law

What legal or civil rights does a defendant have in a

Customer Question

What legal or civil rights does a defendant have in a municipal hearing
Does she have a right to be present at her own hearing?
May hearing officer demand hearing if she
Is unable to attend but hired a lawyer only to continue it due to medical reason?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had a hearing scheduled in municipal court and hearing officer insisted on holding the hearing even though I had paid a lawyer only to continue the case due to med reason. The lawyer I had paid but not retained had no knowledge of facts of this
Rental ordinance of which I was exempt because I lived in condo I had rented.I had only hired him day before. I feel my civil rights have been abrogated.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Im preparing an appeal in circuit court. Would I be better off in federal court.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Legalease replied 3 months ago.

Hello there --

You mean to tell me that there was a hearing against you and your attorney appeared to request a continuance and the hearing officer refused to grant the continuance stating that they did not need you to be present?

Can you tell me what the administrative hearing was about and why youu needed to be present (in their estimation) so I can get a better idea regarding how and to which court the matter should be appealed to ?