Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law

My wife and I recently put her mother in an assisted living

Customer Question

My wife and I recently put her mother in an assisted living house because of her dementia. Her only asset at the time was a mobile trailer she owned which we sold. The owner of the assisted living facility has asked us to put that money from the sale of her home in an escrow account for the purpose of ensuring there is money in an account to pay for her care after her social security and pension money is used each month to pay for her housing/care fee. The balance of what she would owe would then come from such account. We are not sure where to begin or where to look for advise on how to do such a thing. My wife has P.O.A. for her mom but at the same time doesn't want it to look like we have the money from the sale of her home in our bank account thus inflating our position.
Expert:  Legalease replied 3 months ago.

Hello there --

You should ask the owner of the assisted living facility if there is a particular bank that they use to do this and can one of their administrators help you to set this up for your mother so that it can be accessed by the home and your mother to get things that she might need while she is there. The home should be able to walk you right through setting up an escrow account for this purpose because they have done it many times before and you do not want to make the mistake of putting it into the wrong bank under the wrong names.

I hope that helps. Please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above. THANK YOU VERY MUCH