TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

This is my email to the General Manager of the bowling

Customer Question

This is my email to the General Manager of the bowling alley, where I forgot my sweater two days ago ($800). My question is if they are at all liable or negligent? Should I take them to small claims court? They admitted possession and put my name on it in Lost and Found:
Dear German,
I was just there talking to you about a lost sweater. Saturday night at about 10:30pm I left a birthday party and forgot my black John Varvatos sweater/jacket ($800). I called right away when I got home and the gentleman I talked to had it and said he would put my name on it. I said I would come down the day after or Monday.
I came in today at about 7:30pm and talked to the same guy I spoke to over the phone Saturday night, and he said he remembered the sweater and the conversation. After looking for about 10 minutes, he got you involved.
Please look for my sweater and talk to the team that was there on Sunday. I doubt that it was handed out to someone else, since it had my name on it. If anyone took it, it's more likely to be someone who works there. I'd appreciate if you review the cameras that you have all over the place and try to figure it out. If someone took $800 out of your cash registry, I'm sure you would, so please treat this the same way. Thank you for your help!
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

It could go either way if you were to sue. The question is whether they implicitly agreed to take responsibility for the sweater. Their answer, obviously, will be that they did not, and that all they did was agree to place it in their lost & found pile. Moreover, they will likely argue that you were negligent in leaving the sweater in the first place, and negligent against for not picking it up immediately after calling the bowling alley or even the next day.

Your response, of course, can be that the employee promised to make sure that nobody, except you, was able to take the sweater, and therefore, the bowling alley was negligent. As mentioned above, it could go either way in court depending on how well each case is presented, and the judge's own opinions about the matter. I do think that you have a decent shot at winning, however.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.