Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I manage a florida office international business. A local

Customer Question

I manage a florida office for an international business. A local infamous divorce divorce lawyer called to obtain transaction history about a supposed client I refused without written permission from the supposed client or subpoena, he threatened to "drag me through the mud". Can he do that? Did he break any rules? If so how do I file a complaint?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

While it is hard for a non-client to do much about a lawyer it isn't impossible. There are a variety of ethical rules that are written broadly and the way you file a complaint is set out on this web page:

http://www.floridabar.org/attorneydiscipline

The actual code of ethics is at https://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBLawReg.nsf/9dad7bbda218afe885257002004833c5/4586762990367be185256e4300524284!OpenDocument and particularly Chapter 4. Being looking at section 4-4 and from there on the codes deal less with attorneys and their clients and more with attorneys and the public.

We're not really supposed to offer our interpretation of these rules or tell you which ones would or would not apply but I can tell you the Bar takes a dim view of actions like this.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What kind of answer is that? I read that on the Florida bar website an hour ago, I just wasted money and time here. You gave me no helpful advice worth a penny. Please do not bill my credit card. I'm calling my bank in the morning to stop payment, what a waste.

So when you asked "how do I file a complaint" you already knew the answer? And you already knew where the Code of Ethics was located and which ones applied?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What about the question "can he do that"? Guess you skipped that one?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nothing?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Waste of money