AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience

I have been a police officer and town councilman in the town

Customer Question

I have been a police officer and town councilman in the town where I reside for over two years now (2+ police officer, 1.5 years councilman). I had a felony conviction that is more than 12 years old that had been granted alternative misdemeanor sentencing. The Town Marshal, Lieutenant of the police department, other officers, and the Town board were all very aware of this matter and it was discussed on several occasions before I was ever cleared for anything. But I was cleared for both positions. Only now, after I have presented issues to the town board about questionable business practices and possible misuse of power by other members of the board, certain members of the board have contacted the state and the town Marshal, and I have been forced to resign from both positions. But there is much more to it. I am set to resign on my own tomorrow night at the board meeting but certain officials have pushed for other ways and have threatened me with media attention. I now fear retaliation and/or unknown consequences of not knowing the laws surrounding this issue. I thought that since I was cleared by all parties privy to my record than I was good to serve in the positions they asked me to fill. I am scared of the whole situations and need advice and help immediately. No law office is open at this time in my area and I don't even know what type of attorney to contact
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 4 months ago.

HI, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I'd like to assist you for informational purposes. Suing towns and cities for misuse of power is difficult. You will need an attorney who practices in governmental immunity and potential US code section 1983. See the following link for the verbiage of the legal section:

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Since being charged with this felony and accepting a plea agreement that allowed an alternate misdemeanor upon completion of the agreement, I have reported on applications that I have not been convicted of a felony since it had been marked as a misdemeanor. Can I be held liable for such actions since I was ignorant of the situation?

No, you pled to the misdemeanor, not the felony, so the conviction is for the misdemeanor.

Please let me know if I have answered your question.