Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I have a question regarding abuse.

Customer Question

I have a question regarding sexual abuse.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am..
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

What is the question you'd like to ask?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was sexually abused as a child by my stepfather. I am 32 now. He remained in my life even after admitting abusing my sister and I to my mother. I am now dealing with panick attacks, OCD and extreme anxiety. I can't work as normal person because of my extreme anxiety. I believe I was brain washed by my mother to accept him and what he had done. It has majorally taken a toll on me both physically and mentally and I couldn't really see things clearly until I got away from it for a long time and moved out on my own.What course of action can I take against this to get psychiatric help and compensation? I was forced to live with this man my whole life.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, I don't have good news for you. Every state has a statute of limitations after which a case is considered too old to be prosecuted. If the sexual abuse occurred more than three years ago, you can no longer sue your stepfather for your injuries.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My mom made me hide this..
How could I sue him by 11?
I was a kid..
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had to live with him my whole life.
CPS got involed because I was seeking therapy and my mom told me to hide it from them or they would take me from her.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Because you were a child when you were sexually molested, there was an extension which gave you until your 26th birthday to sue. That time is now passed.

I'm not saying this is fair. I'm saying that this is the law of your state.

Because of a wrinkle in California's present criminal law, however, while you may not be able to sue your stepfather for compensation, you may be able to have him prosecuted if you report the abuse to the police and/or to the prosecutor and tell them that you want to get charges pressed against him.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry, but if you want to ask a follow up question you have to put it into words so that I understand what you want to know.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.