Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

My 91 year old father lives alone and was told by 2 of s

Customer Question

My 91 year old father lives alone and was told by 2 of his doctors that he can not drive. He drove his car anyway. If an accident occurs, caused by him and someone is injured, can I be sued although I am not responsible for him but do know he is not supposed to drive?
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 4 months ago.

No. Unless you have been appointed as some type of legal guardian over him because of his age or illnesses, you are not legally responsible for any injuries he may cause while driving against doctor's recommendations. In addition, since you said he lives alone, I cannot see anyone making any sort of claim against you for some type of negligent supervision over him. If he is mentally aware of the situation, you cannot be held responsible for his independent decisions.