LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

I am a homeowner with a mortgage balance of about $6500. My

Customer Question

I am a homeowner with a mortgage balance of about $6500. My son and his family has been living in the house. I live next door in my mother's house. Helping them out, I was paying the mortgage there and on my mother's house. My mother's house is paid off over a year now but I still had my house to go. Last November I had to stop work because of health and other family reasons. After February I could not handle it and asked them to start paying the notes. Up until last month my son and his wife have separated and neither are at the house leaving their 21 and 17 year old sons there.
I come so close to getting the house paid off, what am I to do now. I can't get a loan because I am not working. By next year this time it would be paid off. If I sell it would be as is because I am unable to fix it up. I'm already a month behind. What can I do?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Just to be clear, the 21 year old refuses to pay you rent?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He just came into the situation two to three months ago. He will be leaving next month to go back to another part of the state. His mother told him that she was not going to pay this month and he told me.

Thank you. At this point, if you do not want to lose the home and/or sell it, you need to get them ALL out of the home and then try and rent it. The goal is to be able to rent the home for the same or more, then you pay for the mortgage. You can apply the rental income to the balance owed and then have it paid off in a year. If they refuse to leave, you need to evict them through the court, so you can rent it out. As you shared, you can sell it BUT if fixing it up would result in a greater sales price, you want to wait to do that, so you do not leave money on the table, for a quick fix.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Renting is not an option. I'm in an area that we cannot rent out homes. I tried it with my mother's house before I moved back and was sent a letter stating such. There is no money for repairs so that leaves no options I guess.

Thank you for the additional information. Yes, at this point, if you can to rent it out and they will not live there and help you pay the mortgage, then you will need to look to sell it in the condition it is in, at this time. I know it is not ideal but without any income to pay the mortgage, you want to avoid foreclosure, since it could hurt your credit and cost additional funds, if the bank retains counsel and has to go through the foreclosure process.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns. I am here to help so please just let me know.