LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My daughter applied vehicle online with a credit union. She

Customer Question

My daughter applied for a vehicle online with a credit union. She needed a cosigner and because she knew the last four digits of my SSN, unbeknownst to me, the credit union assumed I gave her permission to add my name as a cosigner. The credit union NEVER called to confirm/verify my position on the loan. My daughter qualified and got the car with my name on it as a cosigner, however, my name was not put on the title. A few months later, I receive a call from the credit union because my daughter did not make the payment on the car.
To save my credit, I asked the credit union to refinance the loan and put the car in my name and they stated I need a cosigner. I am at a loss and need help. A loan was approved without my knowledge. What recourse do I have?
What would I like: My name taken off the loan and the derogatory/negative information removed from my credit report.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The truth of the matter is that what your daughter did was fraudulent. You need to contact the credit union and advise them of the same and share with them that you had no knowledge of this, your daughter used your last 4 digits of your social and once you found out, you acted immediately. They will likely require you submit an affidavit and other documents to support the claim and may need you to file a report as well, with the police. In addition, you have a legal right to dispute the negative remarks on your credit report, since there was fraud and if the union can not show/prove you did this, then the negative information needs to be removed.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so pleas just let me know.