Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

I started a car lease contract at a local dealer. The

Customer Question

I started a car lease contract at a local dealer. The contract was drafted in both, my and my wife's name.I signed. She was not present and did not sign. Nevertheless, they gave me a florida registration in my name and my wife,s, I added the car to my insurance and drove off with the plan to return with my wife to sign. They did not give me a copy of the unfinished contract. I gave them a check for $1200. to be cashed one month later,july 25th. After discussing the deal with my wife she convinced me that is to a good deal. We notified the dealer 24 hour later that she will not sign. I am going back today, monday, to return the car and get out of the deal. What kind of legal issues will I encounter?
Thank you.
Alfonso (###) ###-####***@******.***
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your question. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

The main legal issue you are facing is that you have a valid lease, which the dealer may enforce against you, as the signer, and the dealer, absent a provision in the lease which allows for early cancellation, has no legal obligation to take the car back and terminate the lease before the expiration date in the signed contract. I suspect the lease does not contain any provision stating it is void if not signed by your wife. Therefore, it is enforceable against you since you did sign it and take possession of the vehicle.

In other words, you can try to return the vehicle, but it is up to the dealer if he wants to release you from the lease. He has no legal obligation to do so.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.