CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have a pretty complex case, not even sure how to begin.

Customer Question

I have a pretty complex case, not even sure how to begin. Been working for a super corrupt company. Federal crimes. For what they did to me there are EEOC issues, Copyright infringement, and possibly personal injury.Would this all be rolled into 1 trial or would I have to foot the bill for 3 trials to have to drain my savings to correct their wrongs?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 5 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Federal crimes (or state crimes) will be prosecuted by the government (either the state or federal law enforcement and prosecutors offices).

EEOC complaints are handled by that division - usually as an administrative enforcement action.

Copyright infringement is something that the actual copyright holder is going to have to protect (so unless you are the owner of the copyright that was infringed, this is not your obligation or problem).

If you have an employment law claim against the company (outside of whatever claim you were considering filing with the EEOC, or a wage and hours claim with your state), then you may want to consider retaining an employment law attorney. (Given the scope of everything else that you have going on here, it may not be a bad idea to make an appointment with a local attorney for a consultation to make sure you have a solid grasp of all the pertinent legal issues going on around you - as I noted most of these are not your issue or problem, but it is good to be aware of them). Most employment law attorneys will handle cases on a contingency basis - so you may not have to put any money up out of pocket (after your consultation), but they will expect to be paid a portion of any recovery. (If you prefer to pay an hourly basis, I am certain you can find a firm that will take you as a client).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have an employment lawyer. Copyrights filed, pending processing and approval.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My copyrights
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Haven't really answered what I was wanting to know. Would these 3 issues be addressed in separate trials or 1?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have talked to 7 local attorneys already, none very helpful

If they are your copyrights, then you are going to need to defend them. And in that case you are going to want an IP litigation attorney.

(Your employment law attorney may be able to handle this if you really need to save fees, but this should be handled by a specialist).

I cannot tell you definitively if all of this is going to be in one case (that is actually a strategy call that your attorney will make).

But, it would be conceivable to file a single lawsuit with all of your claims in the same suit. (The reasons why you would not want to deal primarily with how you want to present your action, and all of this deals with strategy).

If you haven't had good responses from local attorneys, make sure you are talking to Intellectual Property Litigation attorneys (this is a specialty). You may have to search outside your immediate vicinity to find one, but any attorney in your state can represent you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have an IP lawyer too
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They are mine, not if
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have an employment lawyer and IP lawyer, personal injury lawyers seem shady but need one of those too since they put me in the hospital.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I get this rolled into 1 trial?

I'm at a bit of a loss. You have two attorneys (an employment attorney and an IP litigation attorney), and neither one of them can tell you which strategy is going to be better?

Have they been talking to one another?

This is the kind of thing that they should be working out together and presenting you with a global strategy and cost/benefit analysis on.

(They have all the benefits of actually looking at your case, and I am trying to help you on a chat forum, but it seems that they aren't communicating, is that the case?)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They are too busy to advise
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They do communicate, the 2 on board, though have only consulted not signed with them yet.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Employment lawyer's case load prevents him helping much at all for the next 2 weeks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This needs to be a media circus to expose this company. Do I need 4 lawyers? Employment, IP, personal injury, and a leader to give sound bites to the media?

It sounds like you need a civil litigation attorney that is actually willing to manage this matter.

It is possible that having multiple cases is entirely appropriate (there are reasons to have an IP case heard in federal court, while other claims are heard in state court, etc.).

But your attorneys need to be working together and responsive. It is incredibly difficult to organize multiple attorneys to handle a claim if they are not working together.

If you cannot get your attorneys to work together, maybe it is time to hire a larger law firm that has the resources to address all of your claims in a single firm.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Civil litigation attorney at a larger firm. Ok, hadn't heard of those.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Went through the Harris County Bar Association referral and didn't even get a response
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I find the kind of lawyer and firm you recommended?

Start looking for larger law firms (expect to pay a lot more money), but you can also expect to get substantially more service from them.

When looking for larger firms, try to find a law firm that has attorneys that show specialties in each of the areas you have already identified.

Lexis Nexis and FindLaw are two good online directories to find larger law firms.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is all just so crazy. Never thought I'd turn government informant and be in this predicament. The laws seem impossible for even an intelligent person to understand without legal training, yet lawyers don't actually seem interested in educating you about the law, only making profit.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, will look up Lexis Nexis and FindLaw. Thanks.

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service (the series of 5 stars next to the chat window) so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.

Bill