CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I was wrongly terminated from a motorcycle association. It

Customer Question

I was wrongly terminated from a motorcycle association. It is membership not employment. They did not follow the by-laws and I was terminated from membership. What type of tort do I have available to sue to be rienstated
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn about the action taken by the motorcycle club. These kinds of situations are difficult because you can successfully litigate a failure to follow the by-laws with company in court, spend a lot of time, and win, then the club can turn around and properly follow their rules and terminate you anyway.

Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.

Oftentimes, this mediation approach is going to be more productive for you than approaching the club with a lawsuit which can make it even more difficult to work with them.