CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My husband was recently injured badly in our home and had to

Customer Question

My husband was recently injured badly in our home and had to be hospitalized 3 or 4 times and had major surgery and then was put in rehab. He has many major health issues and while he was in rehab there were several major mistakes made with him and we need to get some good answers so we can see where we stand. Can you please tell me what kind of attorney we would talk to about this
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

What type of issues do you think occurred -- medical malpractice/negligence?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He had been back in the hospital at Riverside Methodist and was released back to the rehab facility and on a Tuesday morning I arrived there at about 1015am When I went to the room he was in the door was closed and I went in and tried to wake him and he was non responsive. I tried several times and I grabbed the nurses button and pused it several times and found that it was not working so I went into the hall and yelled that I needed help. I believe that 2 aides came first and my husband is a insulin dependent diabetic, he has congestive heart failure, he has end stage renal failure, he is on dialysis 3 days a week 5 hours a day, he had been being treated for pneumonia and he also had spinal stenosis and when I got in his room there was a cup of pills sitting on his bedside table and there was no nurse anywhere around. When I finally got someone to come to the room they couldn't find the sugar tester, they couldn't find any glucose and they just kept running into each other. Finally a actual nurse appeared and she took his sugar and it was 58. She told them to call the medic and I informed her that I could not get any response from him and his eyes kept rolling back and I ask when he had been checked on the last time and the answer I got was at about 7 am. Now this is 1030 am by this point. The medic arrived and one of the guys not knowing kept pushing the nurses button and I told him it was not working and he got highly upset and started yelling for a maintenance person to get it fixed now. They then came and fixed it however by that time his sugar was 38 so they immediately put him in the squad and I got in my car to follow them to the hospital. Well it seemed like it was about 10 minutes but I am sure that it was not that long but one of the medics came over to my car and he said I need to tell you because I don't want to scare you but his heart stopped twice so we had to inabate him and then we left for the ER. When we arrived there we were told that it was very serious and that they were not sure that he would pull out of this and he ended up in ICU for about 3 days and then was moved to a step down unit. While he was in ICU a perrson from the hospital pharmacy came in and said they had tried to contact the rehab facility 3 times to get a current med list and that the people were very rude so they ask if I would go over there and go to the nurses station and ask for a current copy which I did. SHe reluctently gave it to me and as I was going back toward the front doors the administrator came out of a meeting he was in and he said to me that he had planned on calling me that day and he kept pumping me with questions so I ask him if he knew that the nurses had left a cup of medicine sitting in Lees room and it had been there since early morning and he of course said no and I then ask him if he knew that the nurses button was not working and that the fire department was irrate over that and he said no he had not seen that and I ask him if he knew that Lee had stopped breathing and he said no. My daughter was with me and she had the med list that we had gotten from the nurse and he got very rude and wanted to know how she got it and who gave it to her and she would not tell him but she ask if I could sign a release so that I could get a copy of his chart and again he got very rude and said you know we charge for each page and my daughter said ok show me the paper that says how much you charge for each page and he had no idea where to fina anything and then he said to me he has a very large chart so some of the pages will be very costly and my daughter spoke up and said we are not concerned with the cost we need a copy of the chart and he made all kind of excuses about how long it would take to get the copies and it has now been 10 days and we have not heard one word from anyone at that facility.. My main concern of course is the shape that he is in because we have also been told that at some point they believe he has had a stroke and his speech is very limited and he is truly in very bad shape. I need to know if there is anything that we can do and if so what and where do we start.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Until you are able to answer some of what I have addressed I don't have any more questions right now
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
why are you not receiving what I have already typed to you?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 5 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is***** am another expert on the forum, your prior expert had to "opt out" (this sometimes happens).

I have reviewed the information you posted above, and I do believe I can provide you the information you need to start looking for appropriate local attorneys to represent you in getting compensation for your husband's subsequent injuries and illnesses that are compounding his initial injury in the home.

I can also provide you with a general idea of what a medical malpractice case deals with (so what your attorney is going to be looking for).

Medical malpractice claims are based on expert testimony, this means you, or your attorney, will need to find a medical expert in the same, or similar field, to testify as to the standard of care in the industry, whether your physician or facility's conduct fell below that standard, and whether that negligence was the cause of your injury. The same (or a different) expert can then testify as to your projected future damages and cost of medical care.

Due to the complexity of these claims, I highly recommend that you retain a medical malpractice plaintiff's lawyer (also called trial attorneys). Fortunately the majority of these attorneys will provide you with a free consultation, and many will represent you on a contingency basis (they will advance the costs of litigation and legal services in exchange for a portion of your successful settlement or judgment).

You can find local attorneys using the State and Local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).