Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I have recently vacated an apartment that I lived in yrs.

Customer Question

I have recently vacated an apartment that I lived in for 10 yrs. The carpet and the blinds were in the unit for at least 5-6 yrs. and there was also mold present in the unit. during the years, there were repeated flooding in the bathroom form the unit above and the kitchen sink also repeatedly backed up I notified the manager as problems occured . I asked repeatedly for improvements and was denied time after time...and now they want me to pay 1,000..
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon. I'm sorry to hear that you're having this problem. Legally speaking, you are not liable for normal wear and tear . You are liable only for damage that you cause unnecessarily. The same is true for the mold condition that occurs naturally from conditions that you have no control over. Tell the landlord to Return your security deposit in full, or you will take him to small claims court over the issue.

I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
they have sent me to small claims court
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what do I do now that they have sent me to small claims court?

If you haven't already done so, you might review the WA security deposit rules, and possibly file a counter claim. See: http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.18.280

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also asked for an official walk through and was denied....

I don't know if my prior answer went through before your last question, so I will repeated here.