Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I have sole custody of my daughter. Her father has

Customer Question

I have sole custody of my daughter. Her father has visitation on Mondays and Wednesday's from 3-8. I am starting a new job and would like my parents who live two hours away in another state to watch her the first two weeks since it is summer anyway, so I can get settled in in my new position without having to worry about picking her up/dropping her off. He is threatening that if she is not there on Monday and Wednesday I "will have problems". If I have sole custody am I allowed to send her?
Expert:  Sam replied 4 months ago.

​This is Samuel. Unfortunately, if you "interfere" with court ordered visitation rights to the other parent you can be held in contempt of court. If there are no provisions in the order about Vacation times, etc then no you should not consider just taking the child out of state or interfering with the visitations. If there are vacation provisions, then perhaps your vacation time could be used for those two weeks.