legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

A lady went to lagos, nigera to take care of some family

Customer Question

A young lady went to lagos, nigera to take care of some family business the lawer over there payed her way over there now she is over there with no way back can she get some help?
Expert:  legalgems replied 5 months ago.

Is this person a relative/friend of yours that you have personally known?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is a personal friend

that you have met and have had a friend ship with, or is this someone you met over the internet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we have been talking on the e net for a will and sending pics back and forth

Thank you; that was my concern.
Unfortunately, there are many internet scams where an individual will contact an American, requesting financial assistance due to an emergency;

this is per the US embassy website:

The most common scams involve someone allegedly in Nigeria who is in some sort of trouble, ranging from detention to extortion or hospitalization. Inevitably, the sender is making an appeal for money. If this is someone you have not met personally, we urge you to stop corresponding with whoever sent the message, and please do not send any money to Nigeria.

Before you send funds, check to see if you recognize any of the following signs, and realize that you may be a potential victim of a scam:

• You only know your friend or fiancé online and may never have met in person.
  • Photographs of the scammer show a very attractive person, and appear to have been taken at a professional modeling agency or photo studio. If they provide you with a copy of their passport or visa, you can always contact the U.S. embassy in the country where the passport or visa was issued to verify the validity of the document.
  • The scammer's luck is incredibly bad – he/she is in a car crash, or arrested, or mugged, or beaten, or hospitalized. Close family members are dead or unable to assist. Sometimes, the scammer claims to have a young child overseas who is ill or hospitalized.
  • You have sent money for visas or plane tickets but they can't seem to make it to their destinations, citing detention by immigration officials, or other reasons that prevent them from traveling.
  • Beware of anyone who requests funds for a BTA, or Basic Travel Allowance, as a requirement to depart another country for the United States. There is no such thing as a BTA. In other cases, your Internet friend will claim to need a travel allowance, or travel money, to be able to travel to the United States. Again, there is no such requirement under U.S. law.
  • The scammer claims to have been born and raised in the United States, but uses poor grammar and spelling indicative of a non-native English speaker.
  • Although the scammer may claim to be in Nigeria, he or she may ask that the money be sent to an account in another country. Alternatively, the scammer may state he or she is in a third country but request that funds be sent to the Nigeria.
  • The scammer may even claim to be contacting you from a U.S. Embassy, where your partner, business associate, or friend is being detained pending payment of some type of fee. U.S. embassies do not detain people.

There is even a specific agency established to help report and investigate these internet scams:

https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

If an American is truly in need of money overseas, they can arrange a wire transfer from a family member or friend that they have a long standing personal relationship with through the US consulate - they will assist in notifying relatives;

More information here:

http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/scams.html

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you kind of answered my questions but not exactly. I need to know if she goes to the embassy will they help her to get back to the states???

Yes, they will - here is their contact information:

Contact the U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services, at(###) ###-####or, if dialing from overseas,(###) ###-#### You can also contact the Consular Section (American Citizens Services Unit) at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. See also the U.S. embassy and consulate contact information in our Country Specific Information pages.

It is best to allow the embassy to handle it as there are too many scams - often times scammers will pretend to be "abandoned" overseas but usually they are not even American citizens; additionally, most citizens traveling to Nigeria will have a round trip ticket.

So based on the red flags as stated in the embassy release, and the fact that this person is not a physically known person, it is quite possible this person is scamming as similar cases are often seen, money is wired, and the person is never heard from again.

You mentioned I kind of answered your question so I wanted to make sure my last response answered your question? Please post any follow up here -thank you.