Kim Courtney
Kim Courtney,
Experience:  Founder/Member at Food Business Association

In the state of Missouri... I owned my house and contents

Customer Question

In the state of Missouri... I owned my house and contents 100% before I married 8 years ago. 5 years ago we had a house fire. My insurance company paid me the replacement costs for the contents (furniture, etc) which I used to replace my destroyed contents. Now we are getting a divorce and my wife thinks she is entitled to 50% of the contents. These contents were replaced due to the fire and my opinion is that they are still 100% mine.
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed attorney of 14 years and am happy to assist you today.

This is an interesting scenario, and I agree with you. Those items belonged to you before the marriage. They were not "acquired" during the course of the marriage, but were rather replaced during the course of the marriage to replace those original items owned by you. The home was owned by you, and your homeowner's insurance covered you for those items.

I think you have a solid argument in your favor.

If you end up before the judge on this, he or she will still expect you to try to work something out here. I don't know what her situation is, but if she has no furniture and no money, and she is stuck in this situation, the judge may want you two to come to some sort of resolution on this, whether that means you give her a sofa or bed, or whether she gets some money to buy furniture. Just to make you aware of what could happen.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this before ranking my answer.

Thank you!

Hello, I see that this question is still open.

If you don't have any follow up questions, please close the question with positive feedback so that I get paid for my work with you.

Thank you!