ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Well I've been slandered years by over 500+ people in my

Customer Question

Well I've been slandered for 31 years by over 500+ people in my family, i've tried to commit suicide because of the physical and mental abuse i recieved from every family member in my family, they have caused me to loose my job by calling my employer and lying about me in a negative way so i got fired. i've lost many friends because my family would call them and discuss private information about, even my church accussed me of horrible acts of child molestation. i want to die this has damaged my reputation and i can't get a job cause my reputation is ruined. What can i do legally to stop this from my family from futher distruction?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. We cannot represent you in court or in legal matters. We can only answer your legal questions. You mentioned that you need a lawyer to sue your family, but we're not allowed to do that. Again, we can only answer your questions. Is that acceptable, or do you wish to discontinue this question?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how do i civilly sue my mother, do i go to the county she lives at and file a civil law suit against her publically,pay the 350$ and start court proceedings, attain a civil lawyer and see what happens?

That's how a lawsuit is started. But there are pleading, procedural and evidentiary issues that could come up. You mentioned that you've been slandered for 31 years. The problem is that defamation actions (slander is spoken defamation) have a 1 year statute of limitations in Colorado. That means that you can sue for defamatory statements made about you in the past year, but for any of the other 30 years preceding that, the statute of limitations would preclude winning your lawsuit. Furthermore, you need to prove the content of the statements, that they were statements of material fact, that they were false, and that you suffered quantifiable economic damages (a specific dollar amount) due to these defamatory statements made within the past year.

Now assuming that you can prove that, then yes, you could sue in court for those damages. The burden of proof is on you to prove those damages, as well as all the other elements of defamation (the statement, that it was a statement of material fact and not opinion, that it was false, that it was communicated to a third party, and that it resulted in economic harm that you can quantify to a specific dollar figure. If you can prove that and overcome any objections of the other side, then you can win. But you win a judgment, which is a piece of paper. It means that you can attempt to collect that from the other side, but if they don't have any assets, then the piece of paper is worth just that: a piece of paper. So that's also something to consider, whether or not you can recover anything from the other side.

So to SUE someone, it's pretty simple. But to win your lawsuit is more complicated, and I would suggest that you at least contact an attorney in your area that deals with breach of contract cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next.

Even if you go "pro se" (without an attorney), at least go to the library and check out a book or two on representing yourself pro se. There's a learning curve, but a little knowledge can prevent a potentially catastrophic failure. If you do it wrong, you might get dismissed on a technicality, and not even get to the substantive portion of your case.

Does that answer your questions, or do you have more?

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

I see that you STILL have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the information.

You're welcome. If there's nothing else please rate the answer on your screen.

Can you see where you need to rate the answer?

Hello?

Again,

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only then I am credited.