CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Someone I was dating and s ex wife red a PI to investigate

Customer Question

Someone I was dating and his ex wife hired a PI to investigate me. In the process of doing so, their PI somehow retrieved my late son's confidential medical records from birth thru death along with the confidential settlements with the two medical facilities involved and handed them to the boyfriend and ex wife. This seems illegal to me for them to have in their possession (unless they've destroyed by now). I have proof via text messages of what they and their PI did along with exact amounts of these confidential settlements.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I mentioned it to my divorce atty but he wanted to refer me out
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Well I gave you the short version but those are pertinent points
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 5 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am very sorry to learn of this situation.

Unfortunately the problem with this matter is that your claims are not so much against these two individuals and their investigator, but against the entities that were supposed to be protecting the information (so whoever held your son's medical information, and whoever held the confidential settlement documents) - who had the confidential information.

Those are the entities you could pursue.

As far as claims against the PI and his clients, there is a slight possibility that a cause of action could exist, but it would really depend on the details of how the PI went about getting this information (so it would take some more investigation work on your attorney's behalf).

Your divorce attorney is probably wise to refer you out, this matter should be handled by a civil litigation attorney rather than a family law attorney (they are different types of law).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).