CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have a class d felony of unregistered firearm from 1994

Customer Question

i have a class d felony for possession of unregistered firearm from 1994 which i served 4 months in jail.in nyc. this took place when i was 20 im now 41,so over 20 years i have not been in any trouble with the law.. i have a relief of civil disabilities for a liquor license .but it states i am barred for fire arms.my lawyer filed to have it amended, but the nyc commissioner stated he felt i lack good moral standard and advise the the judge to deny the amendment,while a judge in westchester states he will approve the license if the judge in brooklyn ny will remove the bar,, can anyone add any light to my situation..thanks in advance Mr irving
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 7 months ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you with this matter today.

Unfortunately, I do not have all of the details of your case to help you sort out exactly what is going on with your specific matter to help you identify why the two courts are issuing disparate relief. (I could speculate, but that is just another word for guessing).

You can find a good article describing the 2nd amendment, and relief from disability applications in New York here: http://www.nyclu.org/files/gv_daily_record_burger_071206.pdf

If I did have to guess, I would suspect that the judge you are in front of now, is waiting for a determination from the court that issued the original relief from disabilities, but you really need to speak with your current attorney (they have all of the facts and the actual court order to analyze and they can tell you exactly what is going on).

But hopefully the article above will give you a better idea of the law underlying your application to restore your right to own firearms and perhaps help you discuss the matter more fully with your attorney.