AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
93913325

I'm a international student two days bad I wrote a check to

Customer Question

Hello I'm Raghu I'm a international student two days bad I wrote a check to a training institute which is owned by my own uncle which got return to him .I'm too worried now actually I was supposed to get money transfer wired on time but it got delayed.my bank of America transaction showed NFS charges and saying posted check returned.I paid the NFS charges the next day itself this is the first time I wrote a check and I'm totally I don't know how it works. I want to clear the check my uncle is supportive to clear the check what is the procedure I need to do now to get out of this problem and this is completely unintentional. Please help me
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** am an attorney with 15 years experience and I'd like to assist you for informational purposes. If you are now sure that you have enough money in your account to cover the check, you can tell your uncle to attempt to re-deposit the check at his bank. If he can't do that, you can put a "stop-payment" on the first check, and write him a new check and have him deposit the new check. Please give me a positive rating if this helps. Good luck.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello will the bank report regarding check bounce to anyone im worrying about it any how we are clearing this check by this week..my bank account is working fine how about the credit score will this be reported .thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could you please answer this
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Good evening, different expert here --I believe your previous expert is currently offline and I don't want you to have to wait.

While I agree with their previous response, in answer to your follow-up question, you shouldn't have to worry about this being reported to the credit bureaus so long as you take care of it soon, as you plan to. If you let it go to collections because you didn't pay the check, then in that case, it would very likely be reported and end up damaging your credit, but that is not the case here.

Hi, typically banks and lenders wait at least 30 days before reporting anything negative to a credit bureau, so either have the check re-deposited, or issue a new check, and you should not have any damage to your credit report.

Thank you for using justanswer.com.

Hi, can you let me know if I answered your question? Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your replies.. My uncle told their bank to not resubmit those checks.. Now can I request checks from my Bank and write the same amount which I wrote earlier and give ..is this the procedure.. Thanks in advance

Hi again. It is good to hear from you again. I'm glad you are following up. Was I able to answer your previous question?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks u were able to answer.. Could you please answer this?
My uncle told their bank to not resubmit those checks.. Now can I request checks from my Bank and shall i write the same amount which I wrote earlier and give.. I wrote two checks on that day ..is this the procedure.. Thanks in advance

I'm so pleased that I was able to answer your first question.

Regarding your followup question, you can write a new check and give it to your uncle, but make sure that you have put a stop payment on the first check.

Thanks you for using justanswer.com!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh thanks for ur instant reply.. I wrote two checks on that day do I need to write the same amount on the checks which I wrote earlier

You need to write the amount you owe right now. It does not have to be the amount you wrote in the previous check, but it can be if the amount has not changed.