CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

WA Dept of Labor and Industries fined me $1000.00. What is

Customer Question

WA Dept of Labor and Industries fined me $1000.00. What is the least amount I must pay each month to keep from being garnished.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you a specific dollar amount answer to this question. The enforcement division has discretion to pursue non-payment as they deem appropriate.

The best way to go about avoiding garnishment is to contact the department directly and ask about setting up a payment plan so that you have an agreed upon amount that will be paid each month, this will avoid the risk of unexpected bank levy or garnishment that can upset your economic equilibrium.

Failing that, paying as much as possible towards the debt will generally avoid the garnishment (the less money that they have to collect, the greater the shift of cost/benefit analysis trends away from taking any action against you (it is much less worthwhile to take the necessary steps to try to collect $250.00 than it is to collect $1,000.00).

While I am certain that a $1,000.00 fine is significant to your business, it is not a huge fine in the scope of the enforcement division, so if you are making regular reasonable monthly payments that are going to terminate your liability in a timely manner (you aren't dragging this out for months into years), you can probably avoid additional action - but this is certainly no guarantee (as I noted initially, the enforcement division has discretion in how they pursue collections).