CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Concerning past due alimony, can my ex spouses lawyer order

Customer Question

Concerning past due alimony, can my ex spouses lawyer order me to the court house through standard u s postal service, just like junk mail? I've been divorced since 1999 and am 2 1/2 years behind because I am 100% disabled.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 5 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Yes, this is what is called a "debtor's exam" and the judgment creditor can issue notice by using USPS. There is no requirement for this to be personally served (like the summons and complaint for an initial lawsuit).

If you cannot appear on that day, contact the law firm early and ask to reschedule.

You can also try contacting the law firm and see if they are willing to accept documentation from you showing your income, assets, and debts in lieu of a court appearance. Some creditors are willing to forego the debtor's exam if the debtor provides them the information ahead of time (it saves the judgment creditor the time and money of going to court). Be aware, the judgment creditor has no obligation to accept such an offer, but you can try.