LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

Me and three roommates signeda lease in 2003. The landlord

Customer Question

Me and three roommates signeda lease in 2003. The landlord sued us for back rent. Some paid a portion but the full amount was never given. I recently had a levy placed on my bank account so my monetary funds have been frozen.
I am the only person who has had action taken against him. The others haven't been "found" yet. However, they are pretty easy to "find".
Obviously, I do not want to pay for everything myself. So what I want to know:
1) What are my options, so I don't have to pay for the entire balance myself?
2) Are cases like this open-ended until the balance is 0? No matter how old the case may be.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If all of your were on the lease, all of you could be liable. However, the landlord is able to go after 1, 2, 3 or all 4 of you to collect. Even though you may have paid 1/4 of the rent at the time, the lease contract likely allowed the landlord to hold one personal responsible for the full amount owed, if they desired. In this case, they were able to find you and get a judgment and see you have money, so will go after you until it is paid in full. You in turn would have to go after the other roommates to collect the portion which they owe. Until this is paid, they can go after bank accounts to satisfy the judgment since the landlord is entitled to back money owed.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns. I am here to help so please just let me know.