Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
20011183

I had just gotten fired yesterday, they made sure I walked

Customer Question

I had just gotten fired yesterday, they made sure I walked out of the store, the LP said that they are going to press charges for stolen claims at customer service
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Indiana
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no it was just yesterday, I am waiting for the mail
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: it started with a lost cell phone that was already purchased, and then 1 cell phone that was returned
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

What are your questions about these facts?

I'm not sure if you saw my question. Guessing at what you want addressed here is rather difficult, because there are employment law and criminal law aspects to this question. I don't want to address things you are not interested in.

That being said, I'll attempt to formulate an answer without the information I requested.

In employment law, you can legally be terminated without cause unless you have a contract that expressly states you can only be terminated for cause. So, whether they have good evidence or not, they can terminate in this situation if you are without a contract. Even with a contract, if they have some reasonable evidence they can also terminate...even evidence that wouldn't meet criminal law standards (because an employer decision doesn't carry that high of a burden of proof).

In terms of the criminal law aspects here, I'm not sure what you need to know. Yes, they can legally press charges, but the state will decide if there is sufficient evidence to allow for a charge.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.