Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

My son's college has a 3 year residency requirement. The

Customer Question

My son's college has a 3 year residency requirement. The first year students live on campus in dorms. Sophomore and Junior years students are forced to live off campus in a private apartment complex. The rates are outrageously expensive. Three times the dorm rate. There is no alternative housing available. My question is can the college force him to live off campus in a privately owned complex in conflict with there own "on-campus" residency requirement? As a side note, the university recently demolished two dorm buildings creating the lack of rooms for current students. The university has a contract with the complex saying that they will pay for any unrented units.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If there are no rooms left on campus then it's not a matter of the college "making him" live off campus so much as there is no other choice. There is a distinction there for legal purposes.

So, the answer to your question would be yes. However, it does open them up to potential lawsuits for either a refund of the tuition and a cancellation of the contract or a lawsuit seeking damages for the extra money he has to pay to live there now.

If he wasn't aware of the situation until he had actually committed to the college, turned down other chances, and was faced with a choice of either living there or missing the year then the case is better.