Kim Courtney
Kim Courtney,
Experience:  Founder/Member at Food Business Association
8989662

I am on deferred adjudication non-sex related felony. The

Customer Question

I am on deferred adjudication for a non-sex related felony. The plaintiff is a corporation that has filed bankruptcy and will close in a few months.
JA: The ins and outs of corporate law can be complex, but getting the right information now can save you headaches in the long run. The attorneys we work with have a lot of experience, and I'd like to match you with the one who's the best fit.
Customer: If the corporation no longer exists, will the court grant an early termination of probation? I have been an exemplary probationer.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Haven't paid all of the restitution, but again, if the plaintiff doesn't exist, why should I have to?
JA: Because the Lawyer will solve your problem quickly right now and for a fraction of the cost of seeing an in-person Lawyer.
Customer: You're not a real person so when can I talk with one?
JA: Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page where you can book your 1:1 with the Lawyer. I'll share everything we've discussed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Texas case
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am an attorney and am happy to assist you today.

I believe that the court will treat your restitution and your probation time frame separately. So let's address the restitution first.

If the corporation no longer exists, you will have to submit a letter to your probation officer stating that the corporation was dissolved through bankruptcy, and that you are not able to pay the remainder of the restitution because it doesn't exist. Hopefully that will be sufficient and they will consider what you have paid to date to be ok.

The other possibility, is that during the course of the bankruptcy, the court may require you to make the remaining payments, even if the corporation ends up being dissolved. They will try to collect from creditors like you. So there is a possibility they will get you involved into the bankruptcy proceeding. If they don't, you probably won't have to pay the rest.

But do not just assume you don't have to pay. You need to get something in writing either from the probation officer or from the court.

Please let me know if you have questions about this.

Hi there,

I am the attorney who worked with you yesterday to answer your legal question, above.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

If not, I ask that you help me out by closing this question with positive feedback. That will ensure that the system won't keep your deposit and also that I get paid for my time with you.

Thanks so much

Kim