Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am an 81 year old female woman. I have been having several

Customer Question

I am an 81 year old female woman. I have been having several serious falls. I live in a senior residence. My doctor has written a letter to management stating that it is essential that I have overnight care. I have chosen a caregiver that I had for some time. Eight months ago I decided it was time to take a break. We were getting on each others nerves. I have known this person for nine years and for a good deal of that time he has been taking care of me. We have recently reconnected and he is very worried about my unstable condition and has offered to help me by staying three or four nights a week. Because I dismissed him several months ago, the management, although I assured them he had done nothing wrong, are refusing to let him be my caregiver. They have absolutely no grounds for this. It is discrimination. Meantime I am alone every night without care. Are they breaking the law by refusing to allow him to stay overnight? They say they would sign up someone else, but there is no=one else and I am a low income senior who could not possibly pay for care. Your response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 months ago.

Good morning. Have you asked for a copy of their policy, regarding caretakers and termination? Also, does the residence know of any State programs that can assist you or will your insurance provide a caretaker?