Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I had surgery on my right foot in December, 2015 to remove a

Customer Question

I had surgery on my right foot in December, 2015 to remove a foreign object that caused an infection. After the surgery I stayed in the hospital for four days. The surgeon's PA came to see me the first two day's to clean the site and put a fresh dressing on. The next two day's the PA came to see me he didn't remove the dressing to check the wound or clean and put a fresh dressing on. On the fourth day upon my discharge I was sent home without my surgery site being checked,cleaned,or repressed, I also was not given any instructions on how to care for my foot at home. The same evening as my discharge, I unwrapped the bandage to take a shower and my fiancee and I were horrified to discover that my second toe was swollen and black, we knew right away that this was really bad! I had an appointment with the wound clinic the next morning and was unable to go because I had a bad reaction to the antibiotics and was still having reactions to the medications. The next morning when I saw the doctor, the look on her face said it all. She wouldn't tell me that I was going to lose my toe, but she might as well have when she told me that there wasn't anything that they've could do for me and suggested that I go to the emergency department right away. I attempted to see another surgeon,but was met with resistance because I kept being told that I needed to see the same doctor who did the first surgery. It wasn't until another two days passed before I was able to see another surgeon. As soon as that doctor saw my toe,he scheduled an amputation right away. I feel as though there were multiple delays from OPA that contributed to the loss of my toe. I also believe that not checking my toe upon discharge was the first in a chain of events that led to the unnecessary loss of my toe. I look forward to getting some feedback on this matter.
Regards,
Donna Kirsch (###) ###-####Hm. (###) ###-#### *****
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?