Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I tried to return Rosetta Stone-Spanish to & Noble in Tampa,

Customer Question

I tried to return Rosetta Stone-Spanish to Barnes & Noble in Tampa, Florida, within the 14 days and was told that I had to ship the box and contents back to the company.
Is this correct?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There is nothing in the law that requires a store to give refunds on opened merchandise, particularly when it is software. Therefore, if N7N has a policy that states you have to ship it back then you must.

The only exception would be if the store specifically advertises something different. Wal Mart, for example, used o have a story policy that was advertised by a sign at the registers saying you could return items to the store for a refund. If they have something like that then they are obligated to do what the advertisement says. Beware the small print on signs like this though.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.