LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

When a physician discovers that you had two prescriptions,

Customer Question

When a physician discovers that you had two prescriptions for lorazepam, with different doctors, and at different pharmacies, and refuses to authorize the fill, is this reported to the other physician as well? And is only the one pharmacy notified to not fill it, and the other is still left alone? This is in the state of Oregon
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked: When a physician discovers that you had two prescriptions for lorazepam, with different doctors, and at different pharmacies, and refuses to authorize the fill, is this reported to the other physician as well?

Under OR law,

Oregon statute 475.916

Prohibited acts involving records and fraud; penalties.
(1) It is unlawful for any person knowingly or intentionally:
(c) To acquire or to attempt to acquire or obtain or attempt to obtain possession of a controlled substance by misrepresentation, fraud, forgery, deception or subterfuge;

Your doctor has a legal right, if not an ethical obligation, to notify both the other doctor as well as the pharmacies of the fact that you are doctor shopping, so there is a very good chance that your doctor has notified the other doctor about this action by you, as well as the pharmacies.

Be aware that Oregon has in place a central prescription reporting program and all controlled drugs that are filled for you go into this database and can be accessed by any licensed doctor you see, any pharmacy to fill a script at and in many circumstances even by police with a judge's permission. You risk losing the ability to be prescribed lorazepam in OR by doctor shopping.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug