Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have a plan to launch a few websites within the next year.

Customer Question

Website 1 - Will be a blog site where I blog about explainer videos with various affiliate links throughout.
Website 2 - Will be a site where people will pay me to purchase explainer videos. Explainer videos are short animated commercials used for marketing purposes
Website 3 - Will be another blog site with various affiliate links
iPhone App - I want to create an iPhone app as well where people will pay me to post events
Website 4 - Will be a blog website with various affiliate links. But also plan on making an ebook, having membership/course sign-ups, and a possible Podcast.
Obviously, I'm very ambitious and will succeed. That said, I'm pretty sure I need to form a business around all of this and that is where I need some guidance. How should I form this business? Should each site be it's own separate business or should I form one business and somehow all of these sites are under the one business?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Since all the websites seem to function around the same matter, and are controlled by you, someone in your situation may wish to file for an LLC as the corporate structure for the matter, and include all three websites in it. Technically one can set up a different LLC for every website, but this would be very impractical until/unless the websites expand and become very big.

Ergo, it is recommended to have all three businesses/websites under one LLC. Why LLC? It combines the ease of running a business like a mom-and-pop shop with little paperwork with the corporate liability protection of a corporation.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Actually, the sites are not all related. I will have sites in different niches. Not sure if that changes things. LLC is what I was thinking would be the answer. Should I do a DBA for each site? So for example, it would be My Internet Company, LLC, DBA www.mywebsite.com
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

It is your decision. However having three LLCs may be more paperwork than it is worth. It is at your discretion.

Yes, each LLC should have a DBA for the website's name. Not necessarily the url, but the name, at least.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
just to clarify, it's fine to have multiple DBAs under one LLC correct?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Absolutely.

You can have one LLC with multiple DBAs, or, 3 LLCs each with 1 DBA.