Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I live in South Carolina and I feel as though I will not be

Customer Question

I live in South Carolina and I feel as though I will not be able to get a fair Judge because I know they hate pro-Se . We already lost an appeal against a city and county government same case. The last was against Dollar General and they just file a 12 b (6) and I just looked on line and it appears as if they won although I presented evidence at my motion hearing that proved my rights were violated as a matter of law. I know i can't win in this state where they don't care about poor people. I was wondering if I could skip the South Court of Appeals and now file in Federal Court?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, you have to go through the state appellate process first if you filed in state court. It's not actually that most judges don't like people who are pro se, it is that pro se litigants tend to slow everything down and a judge is always trying to get through their docket quickly. If you sit there and watch court for a few days you would see the judge yelling at lawyers who aren't prepared for court.

Be sure you are familiar with the rules and have your case planned out, this include in Appellate Court, and you'll find you quickly get on the judge's good side.

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.