LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I'm wondering if I can sue the person who red a PI on me?

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I'm wondering if I can sue the person who hired a PI on me?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York, it's not for employment purpose. It's just a jealous ex girlfriend
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I have not.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Being surveilled is not against the law in NY, so you don't automatically have a lawsuit against an ex because they hire a PI to investigate you. Unless the PI is harassing you then you would not have a cause of action against your ex. However, if you are being followed everywhere you go by this PI, you could seek an order of protection from the court against the PI as well as the ex based on an argument of stalking and harassment.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good evening,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug