Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My first question was: If I put my adult 22 year old

Customer Question

My first question was: If I put my adult 22 year old daughter on my insurance policy and if she should have a serious accident with serious injuries to other persons , could I be held financially responsible or liable? You gave me a good answer, thank you. What if I`m also on the title to her car and the same thing happens,can I then be held responsible?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Rules for this type of liability vary by state. Where do you and your daughter live?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
california

Thank you.

You wouldn't be responsible just by adding her name to the insurance policy. It's the insurance company that is agreeing to accept liability for her, not you personally. However, if your name is ***** ***** title and she's in an accident, you could be personally responsible. Cal. Veh. Code, Section 17150 makes the owner of a vehicle responsible for any negligent act or failure to act by someone driving the car with permission. One way to avoid an issue is to increase liability on the policy itself, because they'll pay first if she causes an accident. But also consider whether you want to be named on the title with her.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.