Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Im a small business owner years with current landlord I fell

Customer Question

Im a small business owner for 13 years with current landlord I fell behind on my rent and my landlord charge me 2200.00 twice to take me to court for a writ. He calls me at least 5 times a day to harasses my workers if I cant come to the phone. My rent is paid thru June and he is now calling me about July. He found my mothers name and phone number and he called and harassed her for money she is 82 years old and she has 0 connection with my business she is not on my lease. I have so many things he has done to me he huge flood ruined my floors they are wood the water came frome frozen broken pipes next store empty building and he refused to fix this happened 2 times . His attorney threatened me in court that if I mentioned anything they would throw me out of building in 10 Days . I have exclusive rights for hair nails and tanning and he put in another salon 3 weeks ago 30 feet from mine and he opened another nail salon at the other end of plaza I sued him 10 years ago for the same thing and I won. He has done to many things to list he even sent 3 men end shouting for me to move out when I had clients there. He tells me I must obey him or I will be thrown out he stalks me on the cameras ect I feel helpless and I do not know which way to turn can you please help me
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

HI - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Based on what you've posted above, you should have grounds to sue the landlord for harassment and breach of your right to quiet enjoyment of the rental space you are provided. Also, your mother could seek a restraining order against this person based on his harassing phone calls and stop him from contacting her.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

You may also have a claim for intentional interference with your business by calling and disrupting you and your employees....

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

That said, if you pursue a legal claim against your landlord, it likely isn't going to make things more cordial/civil between the two of you.....I'm sure the landlord will take offense and be looking for a reason to evict you.....but as long as you pay your rent and don't give him the opportunity, it should help in the long run.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Also, if the landlord did try to evict you in retaliation for you filing suit to protect and enforce your legal rights, you could sue for retaliatory eviction and seek damages for that as well.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!