TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

We have an extended warranty contract from a car dealership

Customer Question

We have an extended warranty contract from a car dealership we purchased our van through. The warranty is through Allstate. We just tried to use the warranty and Allstate is now saying our contract is expired. We purchased the warranty in September 2014 and it was a 60 month/60,000 mile policy. Now we find out that the dealer checked the box for New rather than Preowned and that is why they are not honoring the warranty. It's blatantly obvious by the mileage and date purchased that it was not a new vehicle. Now we are out $1400 for the purchase of the warranty that we can not use. Now they say we can go to the car dealership and have them do an addendum and pay an additional $900 in order to have that policy made valid. Do we have any recourse?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

It sounds like the dealer is at fault, and therefore, the dealer should be required to make you whole by correcting this mistake. I agree with Allstate that you should contact the dealer to make them aware of their mistake, and to ask that they fix it by paying the $900 that Allstate has requested. If the dealer refuses to fix the problem, then you have the option of suing the dealer in small claims court. Based on what you told me here, I think that you'd have a very good chance of winning a small claims case since it sounds like the dealer is clearly to blame.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!