Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I have a collector who bought all my debts when I could not

Customer Question

I have a collector who bought all my debts when I could not pay, which is most over 10 years. I first got calls saying he wanted to talk to my lawyer, I looked his company up it has several complaints. I don't call or answer my phone at all now he is calling on different numbers and the threat is I must call this federal agent at(###) ###-####If I had the money the bills would have been paid but they kept charging late fees over limit. it got to be too much. I make barely 1400 to 1600 a month and that is with retirement.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It is a scam and absolutely illegal for him to threaten t o put you in jail, for him to claim he is or is employing a federal agent, calling someone else and talking about your debt, etc.

SC has a three year statute of limitations on collecting on a debt. That is three years from the last payment and is you pay anything, even a penny, then the statute of limitations starts over. An acknowledgment in writing can start it over as well so you don't want to deal with him.

Normally if you send him a letter with the following language then you can stop a debt collector from calling:

“Please be advised that, as I have informed you, I dispute the validity of this debt. Pursuant to the state and federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act(s) I hereby instruct you to cease all communications with me regarding the alleged debt. Any further attempt by you to contact me will be construed as an intentional violation of the law.”

If you send him the above letter send it by certified mail,m return receipt requested and also by regular mail and note that it is being sent both ways on the letter.

But this guy is already breaking the law. I'd suggest filing a written complaint with the sttae Attorney General and the FTC at

You can also report him to the Attorney General in his state.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.