Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am an Ethiopian married to a Senigali man who was working

Customer Question

I am an Ethiopian married to a Senigali man who was working in the United nations. While we were living in Zimbabwe with our two kids, my husband got sick and died in 1997. After mourning his lose, I migrated to the USA t oget close to my brother and to my husband's brother to get more support and comfort.
Until my immigration paperwork is completed, I wanted to use my husband's savings in the USA, and I consulted with his brother who is living in New York. He said since I don't have the permit in the US I can not withdraw any money from our savings, and I have to sign a paper to delegate him so that he can withdraw the money for me for us. In few days, I called him and asked him if he got any money for us from our savings. He said, I had to marry him first according to muslim traditions. I did not want to marry my late husband's brother. I told him, I was not prepared for that and I asked him to get me the money I needed from our savings for my kids. He ignored me. I tried to call him. Back then, because my kids were living with his parents in Sudan because I could not to keep them until my immigration process is completed, I was so much scared to push him hard to get me the account transferred to my name, or to get the money. He completely took all the $47,000.00 in my late husbands savings and completely shut me off. This happened 19 years ago. Now, I met a long time friend after almost 19 years and told this sad story. he advised met consult a lawyer if this is something that can be taken to court.
Please tell me how possibly I can get back the savings my late husband worked hard for his family, and bring this cruel person to justice.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is not true you cannot withdraw the US funds. You are surviving spouse and heir to those accounts. However, I am sorry to tell you that the statute of limitations, which was the time you had to sue him to get the money he took from you is long since passed and that means you are no longer allowed to sue him.

So, I am afraid that if you never filed suit against him back when this happened 19 years ago, I am sorry to say that it is way too late now to file suit even if you were afraid of the brother at the time.