Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Do "live chat" apps need to be PAA compliant /psychologists

Customer Question

Do "live chat" apps need to be HIPAA compliant for therapists/psychologists websites when people are only inquiring about services and are not actual patients?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If there is no personal medical history being shared back and forth, then the site does not have to be HIPAA compliant. It is not whether or not they are patients, it is whether or not it they are providing personal medical history (if they are not identifying themselves on the site, then there is no personal history shared as it is anonymous) then the must be HIPAA compliant.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. What about a phone number and first name? For example, I'm setting up a call center of live receptionists for therapists (which is HIPAA compliant) and I'd like to offer live chat responses on our therapists websites when potential clients inquire about services provided, this is not therapy or the exchanging of healthcare info, just a live chat window on a website to use as a marketing tool
Thank you for your reply.
If there is any personally identifying information, which can include a phone number, then HIPAA compliance is required only if they are sharing personal healthcare information, but you said they are not doing so and as such HIPAA compliance for that would not be necessary.