CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

We as a community would like to remove the current president

Customer Question

We as a community would like to remove the current president and treasure of the committee council
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Louisiana
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No ma am
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No ma am
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

In order to remove board members (including a president and/or treasurer), the members will need to follow the by-laws or other governing documents for your committee.

What you are going to be looking for specifically are the rules for what is called a "Recall" of an officer. Usually this will require a vote of a majority or "supermajority" (most organizations will require 60% or 2/3s of the members vote for the recall of an officer).

There will be both a requirement for the number of members that must participate in the recall election, AND, the percentage of those votes that is needed to remove the officer.

(So you are going to be looking for 3 things: 1) the procedure for your specific organization 2) the quorum necessary to remove these officers and 3) the majority vote necessary of that quorum to effectively remove the officers.)

All of this information will be in your governing documents, almost always in your By-Laws.