LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

I had a floor guy who I paid in advance under the table he

Customer Question

I had a floor guy who I paid in advance under the table for work he did not complete and what he did do was sub par to say the least. This was in November and December and at the time when he was to return to finish work he never came back. Now all these months later he wants a couple of his tools he abandoned here that essentially he was storing apparently. I will not return anything to him as he owes me a lot money. Am I within the limits of the law?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I paid him cash directly and I'm in Oregon
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Well, the police won't help him because you did not steal them but he left the tools there----because it is a civil matter and not a crime of theft. And if he files a lawsuit to get the tools back, then you can counter-sue to collect all the money you paid for the work that was not done, or not properly done.

So, consider telling him that you won't return the items until he pays you for the work he was paid for but never did, and if he doesn't pay you, then sue him in small claims court for a money judgment.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good evening,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,